Tuesday, September 6

Out of Sight (1998)

I'll write more extensively about this film in the future. I had just lost some comments I've written from forgetting to hit "Save".

I had concluded a minute ago, prior to losing my material in digital limbo, that "Out of Sight" contains Jennifer Lopez's best role in a film. It made me want to watch more films with her playing lead. The Jennifer Lopez from the late 90s was slightly different: she was less skinny & more "realistic"-looking. Either in full lipstick & eye makeup or looking like she had truly just woken up from normal-person slumber (as opposed to movie-sleeping in makeup), Karen Sisco (Lopez) is stunning. Further, Karen exudes an undeniable, working-girl sexuality that has seldom graced the big screen, at least not lately.

After 3 to 4 viewings, I still find striking the scene of the first-meeting between Karen & Jack Foley (Clooney). In spite of memories of stardust & the two actors' on-screen chemistry, the success of this scene is mostly due to the mise en scene: the blinking red light (from the car breaking), the enclosed space (trunk of a car) & physical intimacy of the two actors, and Jack's hand casually placed on Karen's hip. It is an effective play on a relatively hostile situation (experienced by one party at least & the awful smell by both) in a romantic setting (lights & physical nearness).

I will have to comment on the amusing & descriptive DVD video commentary by Soderbergh & Frank (screenwriter) in future postings. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120780/